An atlas of the ancient world by Abraham Ortelius. The Parergon maps began appearing as supplements within Ortelius main work the Theatrum Orbis Terrarum in 1579 with 3 maps. During the following years, more map were completed and the Parergon became an atlas in its own right. The present edition of 1595 is usually bound with the 1595 Latin edition of the Theatrum Orbis Terrarum.
The atlas consists of one engraved portrait of Ortelius by Philip Galle, a woodcut architectural title border, 30 engraved double-page maps and two engraved double-page views.Koeman mentioned about the Parergon of Ortelius: This atlas of ancient geography must be regarded as a personal work of Ortelius. For this work he did not, as in the 'Theatrum', copy other people's maps but drew the originals himself which were later engraved by Jan Wierix ... The maps in the Parergon have to be evaluated as the most outstanding engravings depicting the wide-spread interest in classical geography in the 16th century
Provenance: W. K. Rehmann (manuscript exlibris on front free endpaper)